Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Not J

I always say that I don't 'do' people, even though I really want to.

This began as J, but one needs a model for more than 5 seconds. It's tough to ask for more from an 8 yo, the bugger. Hence, the inspiration is J, but it doesn't look like him. Other details aren't quite anatomically correct b/c of nothing to compare it to. Alas.

I could fix it, but I have begun forcing myself to stay with the spirit of my intention at the outset - a quick pencil sketch, in this case. Doing and capturing are more important than perfection, even tho the original, fleeting model, himself, is perfection, except for that wiggle worm stuff.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. I was never able to "do" people. Jealous!

Ron Southern said...

Judging by an old photo, I'd say Not Too Shoddy. But you're right, not a portrait.

Cricket said...

Sheesh, Ron. You can't even see. How can I believe you?

(Kidding - hope the new treatment really is working for you!)

DD said...

I try to sketch something of Max from time to time. I especially like the angle of his face when he has his head slightly bowed when he's coloring, but I need more than 2 seconds to capture the outline. Working from photos just isn't the same, is it?

It's very nice rendering, though, and I agree that you shouldn't rework anything. It's just right.

Ron Southern said...

My vision has been getting better, though it's not perfect yet. I now have hope, though!