Monday, December 19, 2005

Genius!

cat flashlight Over the weekend, I flashlight trained my deaf cat. Yeah, it sounds odd.

She now comes to me, guided by the beam of the light into the hallway. Or I can lean over the edge of the U-shaped staircase and show her to go downstairs to her food if she missed seeing me put out new. It has cut her howling considerably. I keep a flashlight by my bed and at the desk, letting her know where I am or where she needs to go. My house mostly faces east, so it is dim enough the rest of the day that she can usually see the flashlight.

Much more clever and low tech than a cochlear implant, huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor kitty. I'm glad she's reassured that you're still there, though.

DD said...

That is genius! Now back to training Significant Other to put his dirty socks in the laundry instead of the bathroom sink...

Cricket said...

DD,
May I suggest electroshock?