Monday, January 22, 2007

Pro-Choice

Blog for Choice Day - January 22, 2007

I am compelled to add to the many pro-choice declarations I read today.

I have always been pro-choice, believing in a woman's right to choose about maintaining a pregnancy. I believe that the woman's rights come before any embryo's or fetus'. Because the cells could not live on their own, I have always thought of them as a parasite which a woman could choose to support or not.

Of course, I personally prefer the supporting of such cells, but I distinctly remember the realization after I had my beautiful newborn that I was still pro-choice, perhaps even moreso after the ravages of pregnancy and labor.

Pregnancy is a very difficult thing. It and labor are to be merely endured. They should be a choice. What pregnancy and labor do to a woman's body should be a choice as well.

It is not that I take life lightly, as I would pay almost anything to be given another chance to create life. Even as such, nobody owes life to another. Sustaining a pregnancy is a burden and should remain as a choice.

No comments: