Tuesday, October 03, 2006

About which I am psyched

Anybody else excited about the release of Shortbus, the new baby of John Came.ron Mit.chell? According to the reviews, it contains "provocative sex." I am so there, but I'll have to decide which there, as I don't want to get too hot and bothered at the theater with the tall version of Zah.ara J-P and give him the wrong impression. I am owning this swearing off of men.

Okay, confession time. For a long time before I saw Hedwig, I thought it was Hedwig and the Angry Itch, just like he parodies in the flick. I am so boring, predictable, and main stream. I remember watching years of IFC and seeing JCM's blurbs and wondering who the hell that cute, little, edgy, cocky guy was. Now I know and I am a fan. And I think he'll do "provocative sex" proud.

Okay, one more confession. I had never heard the derrogatory slang, "shortbus," before dating P. I've lived a sheltered life. Often rather insensitive, crass, unPC, and, yeah, funny as hell, P would make shortbus jokes all the time. When I first heard it, I thought it was a term peculiar to P and his neighborhood cronies, but then I started hearing it elsewhere, too. For some reason, shortbuses weren't a part of my consiousness. I don't know if they didn't have many shortbuses in the rural South or if perhaps I couldn't tell how short it was from the inside. Maybe we all rode the short bus? Deservedly?

JCM's Shortbus begins opening this weekend, then next week goes wider, but specifics aren't mentioned. It should be fun. JCM is one ballsy guy.

5 comments:

Kellie said...

I'll admit I had never heard of Shortbus or Hedwig - I've added them both to my "Queue" though.

You're expanding my horizons Cricket.

Cricket said...

Hedwig is just as crazy as and has a following much like Rocky Horror, although Hedwig has more of a plot. Off Broadway, it held records for longevity and they even bought their own theater. It isn't an easy story (abuse, sexual angst, etc), but it is very enlightening and entertaining, a view into a world I usually wouldn't see.

DD said...

My husband has made the "shortbus" comment on different occassions. It reminds me to be grateful that I didn't ride the shortbus, but actually our school was too small to have the variety-pack of bus-sizes.

We use to be such movie goers. Now we get excited when they release more than one animated film in a year.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I had no idea he'd made a mew film - how exciting. Thanks for the heads-up, Cricket! I loved Hedwig.

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of "short bus" either - I do believe my momma would have slapped me silly had I used it mockingly. It does have it's place though in humor.