Saturday, November 17, 2007

Perspective

Scene: Elementary school cafeteria on "Parents Come for Thanksgiving Luncheon" Day

Jose: Hey, J's mom. What do you do for work?

Me: I don't work really. I volunteer and I am an artist.

Jose, perking up: Oh! My brother is an artist, too.

Me, perking up: That's really neat. What does he do? Draw? Paint?

Jose, quietly and shyly but very proudly: Just between me and you... (slowing nodding toward ex) and you, he paints graffiti.

Me, both shocked and losing it: I am sorry for laughing. I think that is cool.

Jose: Yeah, one time he made a realistic rose. That was my favorite.

2 comments:

Well-heeled mom said...

I am a huge fan of good graffiti - good meaning real art.

Imagine how sad I am that there was no Thanksgiving lunch at The Boy's school this year. After me waiting all these years to be a mom and enjoy the simple things like that. Hmmph.

Cricket said...

I would be bummed, too. I always go and I volunteer, too. This year I volunteered both days. They do the younger grades on Thursday and older grades on Friday, with the flip grades taking their food to eat in the classroom. Poor things, they get turkey two days in a row, but it frees up seats in the cafeteria.