Saturday, April 16, 2005

A change of heart

[Warning - some sappy mothering comments - not by me, of course.]

I really didn't care for her. I really couldn't say why, either.

I've seen her in Titanic, Wacko Minds of the Insanely Kind, Neverland... well, those come to mind anyway. I'm sure there were others.

Each one had a lot of fluff - the best way I can describe it would be "scenery instead of scenes."

I'll admit I rooted against her at the Academy Awards. More than once.

Yesterday I sort of begrudgedly read an interview of her - her the person, her the mother. And except for one 'yeah right' mothering moment (see if you can't pick it out?), she seemed insanely human. Anyone could get snarky about her seeming a bit sappy or defending the wrong other two actresses. However, any famous actress who can candidly admit to having a menstrual cycle (not to mention being round enough to probably not have an eating disorder, thus really actually having a period) is extraordinary. She does give a whole new view to the black dress and I appreciate her candor.

I've brought it down a notch, Bam Man. I'm gonna try to like her next go around.

Although I do not agree with much of the tone of this article, from here on out it's quotes and excerpts from: Kate Win.slet Overshares

It's almost impossible not to like Kate Win.slet, even when she's revealing way more than you'd ever want to know about how actresses get ready for their close-up.

"In the end, I have exactly the same issues and hang-ups as any woman would have going down the red carpet," the British beauty tells Glamour UK. "You know, what if I step on my train and tear my dress? What if I get my period? That's why a back-up black dress is essential. When I read how an actress 'made a statement in black,' I just think, 'Oh, period or fat day.' Sometimes you just don't feel confident enough to wear twinkly yellow taffeta."

Yeah, yeah, we know, waaaaay too much information, but we'll bet dollars to doughnuts you'll never look at a celebrity in a black dress quite the same way again
.
.
.
One of her superpowers: the ability to dodge bad press in a single bound. "When you've had kids it seems irrelevant," she explains. "Before I was a mother, if I'd been photographed in a bikini I'd have been mortified. Now I just don't care. So what if I've got cellulite? I've got carrots to puree!"
.
.
.
"The best part [of the Academy Awards] was seeing Gwy.neth Pal.trow and Ju.lia Ro.berts -- they looked so beautiful, soft and grounded," says Kate. "They didn't look like that before. Being a mother is just the best thing in the world."

No comments: