Friday, April 22, 2005

Mammaries a go go

To continue on a theme I started several months ago with Nips & sips for your furbabies regarding a puppy, please enjoy this latest installment...


Woman Breastfeeds Tiger Cubs

YANGON (Reuters) - Hla Htay has three hungry infants to feed these days -- a seven-month old baby boy and two Bengal tiger cubs.

Three times a day, the Myanmar housewife goes to the Yangon Zoo where she breastfeeds the hungry black-striped, orange-brown cubs rejected by their natural mother.


"The cubs are just like my babies," Hla Htay told Fuji TV as one of the baby big cats suckled her breast.
.

.
.
The zoo says the breastfeeding will stop by the end of April or when the cubs start teething -- whichever comes first.



Wow, I'm relieved! Teeth hurt or so they say.

[ADD'L TIGER UPDATE 4/24/05: Tiger cubs breastfed by Myanmar woman being weaned to powdered milk]


UPDATED:
Dave Berry beat me to one today. What a day for breasts!

And it is yet another species....

The mother who suckles pet monkey

With a picture, to boot.

Part of my desire to have another child is that my obstinate infant would not breastfeed and I honestly felt cheated out of an aspect of mothering I planned on and felt was important (considering allergies especially) for us. I wanted a chance to do it again the way 'it is supposed to be' not hooked to an electric pump draining the boobs for 8 months.

It would be so much easier if I could just find a willing stray pup, cub, or monkey, wouldn't it? I'm gonna start looking and tell Dave Barry first, besides telling you guys.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, I'm bedridden so I can read everything, bring it on!!!!

That is freaky about the breastfeeding. I can't believe that is the nourishment they need.

Cricket said...

You know, that is what I thought at first, too.

But then I remembered cow's (or even goat's) milk. It is cross-species milk drinking.

Did you know that humans are the only animals as adults who drink milk?

I guess I should even include (with the pups, cubs, and monkeys) those strange breastfeeding adult males, too. (I could only find this one example, but I know it is more common than throught, and I mean more than a sample sip.)

http://www.askthecouch.com/2_past_template.asp?article=15

Or even consider the opposite - men who do the breastfeeding...

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/milkmen.htm

Takes all kinds, I guess. I think the book is a story (legend?) about a shipwrecked man and a baby, with him having no choice but to begin lactation to save the baby.

Anonymous said...

that is amazing. wow