Thursday, April 14, 2005

The real parrothead

I've been known to quote Jimmy Buffett a time or two. It's not so much that I am a raving fan, but it's b/c my ex was and I couldn't help but to absorb some through osmosis. I didn't get any Buffett in the divorce, as an example that he's not too central to my tastes. That said, some snippets really spoke to me and I like to share all sorts of snippets that speak to me with each of you.

Today I speak of a different parrothead altogether.

We made it! This evening after J got his brown belt in TKD, I took him to celebrate with a flick. He's out of school tomorrow, so hooey on a late night. We saw The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. (98% Fresh)

Cecily had mentioned it last week, bringing it back to my forebrain.

In my experience, it isn't often that a young kid and parent an truly enjoy a G-rated film together. We also did for Winged Migration (97% fresh, box office over $10M). Seems that documentaries about birds suit us...

... even documentaries demonstrating raw, painful truths about the cycle of life and death.

Visit the film maker and main character's website for these plugs:
To learn more about San Francisco's wild parrot flock, click here. For details regarding Mark Bittner's memoir, "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill: A Love Story with Wings", click here to visit the book's website.
(I must add that the pictures at the sites are beautiful. Look at the book's site and you can see supporting pictures chapter by chapter. Most of these birds are not ones from the movie, so seeing the pictures and reading the captions won't spoil the movie for you.)

These are the places it is now playing. Perhaps one is local to you.

Since it's limited release in mid February, the film has made just under $1M. It would be exceptional for an independent film maker like Judy Irving, who was essentially making a tribute to her birdwatching grandfather, with a small distributer in a limited number of markets to actually be able to make a living creating such a quality piece. It's only in 39 theaters; mega releases from mega studios and mega distributors go into thousands of venues.

As I usually do after we do almost anything, I asked J what his favorite part was. He replied, "Everything." A bit later, I was on the phone with P and gave him J's review. P asked me to ask him, "What part did you hate?," to which J replied, "Nothing."

I am blissfully raising an artsy fartsy son with impeccable taste.

3 comments:

Liz said...

It's not about birds at all, but my favorite PG movie is "Never Cry Wolf".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086005/

It's very artsy and interesting. It came out in 1983, and was one of the first real dates my then boyfriend, now husband, and I went on (we were in college, so a real date was unusual...most dates were whatever party was going on). The cinematography is amazing and the humor is obvious enough for a 7 year old to get. I highly recommend it, especially if you love beautiful nature scenes and animals.

Cricket said...

Thanks, Liz. I enjoyed the guy's review there.

It is timely - just this evening on the phone, I told P that I need to paint a female wolf as a sort of self-portrait of what a she-wolf I've become lately.

One of my very favorite things to do is howl - it is the best tension release!

Anonymous said...

u should have picture of cricket life cycle