Sunday, February 24, 2008

The not very dirty dirt

It went well, better than I anticipated. He has a bigger heart and is a better listener than I'd judged over the phone. He's less lawyer-y than I'd thought, seemed to jump to fewer conclusions, even though he'd said that was a fault. It boils down to me not being a good phone person, I believe.

I think I talked too much, but then he didn't interrupt like he did on the phone. I can be quiet and a good listener, but I have a fault in that I don't ask enough questions. It isn't that I am disinterested; it's that I let things flow and figure others will do the same, divulging when they feel the time is right. Well, that's wrong because many people want to be asked and that isn't in the forefront of my nature; I am better at commenting and conversing. So I will make a big effort to ask more questions.

We met someplace that the parking is good and he waited there with some coffee. I was surprised at first; he was wearing jeans with a jeans shirt and a leather jacket. With Clinton and Stacy whispering on my shoulders, I'd spent $550 at the Macy's sale the night before, even bought a dress wool coat, so we were the odd couple. I came to realize how his dress suits him; he's from the SW. It makes sense. Equally, my dress didn't suit the real me. Damn that Clinton and Stacy.

We walked downtown, which was longer than his estimation. (Even after a mile each way in boots, my pathetic feet don't hurt today, so that's a good sign.) He goes to this area to eat a lot and listed some restaurants as we headed that way. I wanted to go to the tapas place, because my old favorite tapas place closed last year. Love me some ceviche! (And it's even good for my diet.) So we walked by many restaurants to get there, but it was worth it.

We had a very engaging conversation, stayed long after dinner was over. We walked back to my car and gosh it was cold. With my 'coat with a good silhouette,' I didn't want to cram gloves to store in the pockets and my hands suffered from that lack of preparation.

We'd gone out early, at 6 because I wanted it to still be light as I drove someplace new, so we were finished early, too. I think he's a workaholic, but I think it's out of not having a life more that avoiding having a life. However, he had me drive him a couple blocks to his workplace and car. It was 9 and he was going back to work. He does most of his work on the weekends when it's quiet. Considering that he goes to law school two days a week, I guess the other days add up to a regular work week. Considering my visitation schedule and limited availability, it's fine. I couldn't stand a 24/7 romance anyway.

As he left my car, he sweetly kissed me on the cheek. I didn't feel it too forward. He was quite emphatic about talking sometime today. And we'd already made plans for him to cook me dinner on Wednesday night.

When that rolls around, I may even wear my jeans.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like he might be a keeper.
I am excited for you.

brite69 said...

Yay! I'm so glad he made a better impression than on the phone.

And dude, Clinton and Stacy piss me off. I seriously can't watch them with out getting angry. LOL Of course, they'd have a field day with me. o_O

Anonymous said...

I have been compulsively checking this site all day...

I'm glad it was pleasant and hope it only gets more so...

Klynn said...

Cautiously optimistic for this one. It always takes time for people to show their true colors, but it sounds like you're off to a good start. Just make sure he's not studying family/divorce law...that's not one you'd want to get involved with (heh heh).

I know I don't comment as much as you might like (and I'm sorry for that), but I am reading, and caring. Quietly rooting for good things.

jess said...

so glad to hear it went well.

and OMG...i'm jealous of your shopping spree...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like somebody had a nice time. I hope the next time goes even better for you.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I hope that this works out for you.. He sounds like a nice guy..

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfectly lovely first date. Yay! You!

Tara said...

I dressed up for my first date in awhile, too. I also had a new winter coat and then when I met the guy at the restaurant, he had jeans on and a sweater. If I had known, I would've gladly worn my jeans too. But it's a learning experience. My friend even came over that morning to help me with makeup.

I'm so glad the date went well for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it went well. Dating can be fun I guess...perhaps I should get on board.

laura b. said...

How cool to read about a good first date!

Churlita said...

Good for you. I'm usually pretty stressed out on first dates.

Anonymous said...

HOORAY! Fingers crossed. Eyes crossed. Legs crossed.