Thursday, December 30, 2004

Block that conception! Block that conception!

Sometimes, one just has to present the other side of fertility.

More Than One Can Conceive

As Skuy, a retired pharmaceutical executive, points out with some sorrow,
"there's really no motivation to save an old contraceptive."

Still, here and there, gynecologists and patients with a sense of history
have held on to favorite devices. Skuy, 72, has traveled the globe to acquire
them. His collection, he says, is more than a curiosity: It's about science and
sociology, about the limits of modern medicine and the ageless drama of human
desire.

The artifacts "tell of a human motivation across the centuries, in
different countries and different cultures, to limit family size," he said.
"There are any number of museums that display fertility symbols. The story of
how people tried to curb their fertility is every bit as important."


I love this article and this old guy. There's nothing better than applied science combined with bedroom history. I'm such a biological feminist at heart.

I have tried hard to find online a particular book I liked so I could reference it here. It did a compare/contrast of female/male anatomy and came to very different conclusions than the rest of medical science. It made me wary of male analysis which was actually sexist, even if it wasn't deemed as such.

With this sort of discussion and my own health history, I have a big problem with the male medical model in the treatment of female disease and health concerns. Guess that's why Mr. Skuy's collection made me laugh; he looks for ingenious anti-model material.

I am inserting these books I did find at the university library catalog here, but I don't think any are the one I was seeking.

Biology & feminism : a dynamic interaction / Sue V. Rosser.
Subject(s): Feminism. Human biology--Social aspects. Sexism in sociobiology.
Publisher: New York : Twayne Publishers ; Toronto : Maxwell Macmillan Canada ; New York : Maxwell Macmillan International, c1992.

The science question in feminism / Sandra Harding.
Subject(s): Women in science. Feminism. Science--Social aspects. Sexism.
Publisher: Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 1986.

Women, feminism and biology : the feminist challenge / Lynda Birke.
Subject(s): Feminism. Human biology--Social aspects. Sexism in sociobiology.
Publisher: New York : Methuen, 1986.

Science and gender : a critique of biology and its theories on women / Ruth Bleier.
Subject(s):Women--Physiology--Philosophy.Human biology--Philosophy.Sex discrimination against women.Feminism.Sexism.
Publisher:New York : Pergamon Press, c1984.

Women look at biology looking at women : a collection of feminist critiques / edited by Ruth Hubbard, Mary Sue Henifin, and Barbara Fried, with the collaboration of Vicki Druss and Susan Leigh Star.
Subject(s):Women--Physiology--Philosophy.Feminism.Sexism.
Publisher:Camb., Ma. : Schenkman Pub. Co., 1979.
(I cannot find a Table of Contents or a good description of this one.)

But in my additional research, I found a few more I'd appreciate reading:
Female Ejaculation & the G-Spot by Deborah Sundahl
The Case of the Female Orgasm : Bias in the Science of Evolution by Elisabeth A. Lloyd
The Politics of Women's Biology by Ruth Hubbard

And two classes I'd love to take:
BIOLOGY OF WOMEN
Women's Lives in Science

No comments: