Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A book diversion as I attempt to sleep early tonight

For the challenge of Oro and the ones before her:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

I'm adding:
6. Send me a link, too!

The 2 closest books didn't fit - art books with picture descriptions and not enough verbiage. However, I went to a favorite on the nearby shelf.

Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

It is a poignant Newbery Award winner. Yes, it is a children's book, but unlike most children's books in its expression of depth, pain, and anguish, a story of strength during hardship.

Miss Freeland rings the bell to call us in
but I'm not ready to come back yet.
When I do come,
I study how fine that baby girl is. How perfect,
and that she is wearing a feed-sack nightgown that
was my brother's.
p. 123

Wouldn't ya know it, p. 123 describes kids having to wait outside for a birthing to happen in the schoolhouse: Depression in Oklahoma's dust bowl, 1935.

1 comment:

Cricket said...

Kewl...

She puts in such meat for a kid's book. She's on my 'to do' list.