Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Modification

Okay, I didn't know how searchable that last bit was, so I will consolidate.

I believe in civil gay unions, particularly if the same legal etc requirements cannot be done with a will or a medical directive or other legal instrument. I honestly do not believe one can see into the future enough to figure out what things marriage would cover, things which might require additional legal instruments. Would love to see more written on the topic.

Of course, I do not believe such can be legislated to be followed by any church, so they can do as they like.

I do not appreciate that, according to some arguments, the institution of marriage exists for procreation and it thusly defines marriage. I disagree, not for the homosexuals among us, but for the menopausal and infertile. This would imply that women over the age of 50 or so should not be allowed to marry. It would also imply that women with gyn diseases such as PCOS or endomentriosis should not be allowed to marry. (And what would happen if the diagnosis was made after marriage?) Further, it implies that guys who can't get it up or shoot blanks should not be able to marry.

So comment and enlighten as you wish.

6 comments:

DD said...

Damn. I liked that post, "On the fence..."

Max has tunnel-vision in his ideals. Two men can have children. Two women can have children. In both cases, sometimes even more easily than the "ideal" man/woman combination.

Who is to say who can subject another to their own moralities without being a hypocrite?

Anonymous said...

I have no regard for the church definition of anything, so that is out the window for me. I have no regard for ANY government definitions either. I am neither elephant or jackass, blue or red, rep or dem. Government/church = hypocrisy.

Unfortunately a lot of the things that are held so "sacred" by the idiot society in this country are also held sacred (ahem, loosely, real loosely) by the government and church (married to each other)so change in any aspect will never occur unless both are toppled, gutted, and replaced with people with brains. I will be dead 6 centuries before that occurs.

My rant is over..When we decide to get married (me and Renee)we will simply sign the papers and be done with it. Neither of us have any intention of having kids either. We are perfectly healthy, but have no desire to bring a child into this fucked up world.

Monica Cassani said...

evil!
I love what you said!

and for the record I think anyone who wants to should be able to be married as long as they are of legal age.

I've thought about that procreation argument being bullshit before too...in that lots of us can't have kids.

In any case, I think people should be able to do as they please as far as marriage goes...and I take that even as far as having more than one spouse...I wouldn't want it but why should I dictate someone else's life...I can certainly conceive of loving more than one person at a time. If all people involved are in full agreement....then let it be.

Brigitte Ballard said...

I totally believe that everyone has the right to be happy and married. Everyone. I would love civil ceremonies to be legal for homosexuals. It makes me mad that they aren't. Let the churches do as they want, but lets give everyone the same rights.

/sigh

Churlita said...

I'm right there will all the other commenters on this one. As long as people are of age and consenting, let 'em get married. I'm not sure if I'll ever take that flying leap again, but I think anyone else who wants to, should.

NoRegrets said...

I like that... well said.