Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Seasonal abodes

Check out this link to an Asheville NC inn that has an annual gingerbread house competition. There is a slideshow and a video. 300 houses are on display this year. Look for the fountain. It is to behold.


We usually make a gingerbread house each year. If I'm dating someone with kids, I make an extra one with them as a bonding opportunity. This year, I do not have the stirrings to do it. Literally.

We made this one last year...
Not really! But close!

6 comments:

Well-heeled mom said...

Yeah, ours don't look anything like that but it is great fun!

Aunt Becky said...

OH MY GOD, it's awesome.

I don't even bother trying. I'm not creative, and I lack patience completely.

I applaud you.

Anonymous said...

That takes some bit of patience and a whole lot of self control so as to not eat the building supplies.

Very nice.

Cricket said...

By "close" I meant that we make the pretty little humble shed that happens to be on the same grounds as the very grand Biltmore House.

Yeah, the eating of the supplies. My son is very disciplined and he is so aware of the potential outcome of building a house that he wants all the pieces to decorate it fully. Last year I tried to do this with a 4yo and 6yo, and the building materials were fair game. You don't want the experience to be a fight over candy, so it's a fine line, esp when dealing with others' (bratty, unheeding) kids.

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Oh good, I was worried. Not so much about the insanity necessary to build the g-bread house, as the insanity necessary to own those gold candlesticks.

Cricket said...

I guess technically right now the Dub owns those candlesticks. We got to take the tour last year.