Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Vegetable Spoon Bread = Dressing

I got this recipe as a newlywed. Lovely with or without gravy, it has evolved to be the dressing for holidays each year. A great way to sneak some green into the diet, I have also made it adding mushrooms (of course) and diced onions. Even carrots would work.

INGREDIENTS
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 eggs, beaten (I often use 1)
1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn (I usually use kernal)
1 cup low-fat sour cream (I use less)
1/4 cup margarine, melted (I use butter)
1 (8.5 ounce) package corn muffin mix (I use Jiffy)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease a 9 inch square baking dish. In a large bowl, stir together the spinach, eggs, corn, sour cream and margarine until well blended. Stir in the dry cornbread mix. Pour into the prepared pan, and spread evenly. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and slightly browned on the top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds interesting. Might give it a try this weekend.

Also, I love how you annotate the recipe! I do the same thing (so you must be a fabulous cook, too!! ;-) )